Friday, March 12, 2010

Melbourne


Melbourne has many similarities to Toronto – old architecture mixed with the new, a strong art scene, diverse people, and lots of shopping.

However, there are many important differences as well. Rather than Lake Ontario, for example – and which I’m sorry to say often smells like fish and garbage – Melbourne sits on the banks of the peaceful Yarra River, which flows steadily through the city centre.

Rather than stone beaches that hurt and cut your feet …. Melbourne has white sands and soft shores. And, well, not to be nit-picky, but rather than seagulls and pigeons …. The Melbourne skies feature tropical parrots, cockatoos, and birds of paradise.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my city – but Melbourne is just …. Awesome.

There was, however, one experience that was lesser so. I mean, when you’re in a new city you have to expect that things might not always go your way.

On my first day, I – along with two other Canadian girls – spent the day exploring the city. Hungry, and having already heard about some of the amazing delicacies that can be found throughout the city streets, we began searching for something delicious to eat.

Expecting unlimited choice – we were surprised to find…. nothing. And not “nothing” as in:
“Do you want to eat here?”
“Nahhh…I don’t feel like Italian”.

I mean literally NOTHING. No Street-Meat, no Thai Express, no Curry in a Hurry, and no Sushi To-Go.

Museums, historical buildings, and landmarks were everywhere. But a sandwich? Impossible to find!

It’s hard to explain the seriousness of this situation. I mean – when was the last time you were in a city that seemed to have absolutely no food available. We asked around – and, perhaps even more socking, absolutely no one knew where there was a restaurant. By this time it had been about 45 minutes, and desperation was clearly starting to set in.

Moments away from foaming at the mouth and passing out on the side walk, we finally found this dingy $2.99 buffet in the basement of a bingo hall.

It was there that I had my first official Australian meal - cold chicken and egg plant parmesan, macaroni salad, and chips – while watching Pocahontas on the big screen, in a bar filled with children and cigarette smoke. Delicious isn’t quite the word I’d use to describe this experience. Sanitary probably isn’t either. Memorable, however – that fits.

We later found out that Lygon Street is place to eat. A cute little area on the North end of the city, that is known as the restaurant district. There you can find wood oven pizzas, handmade pasta, fresh sushi, and oh so much more.

I actually ended up working at a bakery on Lygon, which served unbelievable pastries, sandwiches, and lattes. In fact, if you ever have the chance to try Thresherman’s Vanilla Slice I highly recommend it! Mmm mmm good!

Melbourne is like most cities – it isn’t distinctly Australian – just like how Toronto doesn’t necessarily scream Canada. There are, however, a few amazing things that make it a great place to visit, explore – and, with a few tips and a little research – eat. But take it from me – never pay less than $5 for an “all-you-can-eat” experience.

Destination Nutshell:
Flight: by foot, hours and hours of city walking. Free!
Accom: I was in residence by this time; however there are tons of options for any budget or travel experience.
Highlights: Cricket at the MCG, Footie (Go bombers), Flinders Street Station, The docklands, Southbank, Crown, the State Library of Victoria, the Aquarium, and – my favourite – Sushi Train.

No comments:

Post a Comment