Friday, April 16, 2010

This Ice is Nice!


For those who don’t know – I had a minor mishap involving my gall bladder only a week before my trip to New Zealand. Well, ok … it was a major mishap. In fact, no longer do I have a gall bladder (and good riddance at that!)

So, when my group of fellow travellers decided that climbing Fox Glacier was an absolute necessity, I knew I’d be up for a challenge.
The trek started out well! Flat ground, a few rocks – nothing I couldn’t handle. However, about half hour in, things very quickly turned vertical. Climbing in and out of thick rainforest brush, under waterfalls, and over streams – we ascended 1000 vertical meters, without the safety of a net!

At points, I truly thought I was going to die. And, with comments like “ech… are you ok??” coming from my fellow travel companions – I think they did too.

Luckily though – I made it! To the beautiful beautiful top – with all remaining organs in tact!

Standing on Fox Glacier was amazing. Tall towers of ice that stood three stories above us, it felt like we could touch the sky.

The trip back to base was much easier – although I, along with everyone else, was certainly sore for our remaining days in New Zealand. Luckily though, we spent our time making a slow travel through Arthur’s Pass before one more night in Christchurch, and eventually heading back to Aus.

Flight: Back to Aus. Round trip hits about $600.
Accom: Here we stayed at the YHA Franz Josef Glacier Hostel. This one’s a cool $19 a night, and is a sweet distance from both Fox and Franz Josef!
Highlights: Towers of Ice, blue skies, crisp air, and overcoming a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment